Square One: Net Worth

I don't know where to start.

I should have a game plan on how to rebuild my emergency fund and pay off P 122,000 of credit card debt, but I don't. At least not yet.

Just thinking about it makes me feel anxious and overwhelmed.

I am in the effin' RED!

This is where I stand right now.



I just received my salary and haven't paid the bills and mortgage amortization yet. So, things are a lot worse than the negative 18k net worth computed above.

Anyway, for now, I am avoiding googling for strategies. I have a tendency to spend 20 million hours researching but end up doing nothing. I know myself enough to just do one thing to get everything started. So to kick things off, I picked up an unused journal and started jotting down all my expenses for the day. I'll try to be diligent with this for at least a week so I know where my money goes and where I can spend less on.

I am anticipating that I won't be able to significantly reduce my credit card debt this month because I will be travelling. Before you smack me in the head, know that this vacation was planned 3 months ago. I already booked tickets and accommodation. My gut tells me that it's best to cut losses and cancel the trip. But I decided to push through with it; like a last hoorah-type of activity as I look forward to hell months. I'll try my best to spend the least amount possible.

P.S. If anyone's out there, I hope you could recommend resources on debt-reduction, including inspirational stories.

P.P.S. Credit to Save Spend Splurge, one of my favorite personal finance blogs, for the net worth spreadsheet format. Check out the website! It's awesome.

Comments

  1. You should definitely include your house in the assets column, and the balance for your mortgage in the liabilities column for a more complete view of your net worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback Jill. I'll try to incorporate that in my next update.

      Delete
  2. Dont despair. My own financial journey started with a negative net worth and baby steps too. In fact, my credit card debt was even more than yours. Every day is a chance to get better. every single peso saved is a step in the right direction. You will look at this day someday and appreciate your realization... Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for leaving a comment. Hearing from people who have been in the same situation and were able to get through feels encouraging ☺️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts